(1) The Department of Physical Planning at the District level shall manage the
activities of the Department of Town and Country Planning and the Department of
Parks and Gardens.
(2) The Department shall
(a) advise the District Assembly on national policies on physical planning,
land use and development;
(b) co-ordinate activities and projects of departments and other agencies
including Non-Governmental Organizations to ensure compliance with
planning standards;
(c) assist in preparation of physical plans as a guide for the formulation of
development policies and decisions and to design projects in the district;

(d) assist to identify problems concerning the development of land and its
social, environmental and economic implications;
(e) advise on setting out approved plans for future development of land at
the district level;
(g) advise on preparation of structures for towns and villages within the
(h) collaborate with the Survey Unit in the performance of its functions;
(i) facilitate and participate in research into planning in the District;
(j) assist to offer professional advice to aggrieved persons on appeals and
petitions on decisions made on their building;
(k) facilitate consultation, co-ordination and harmonization of
developmental decisions into a physical development plan;
(I) assist to prepare a District Land-Use Plan to guide activities in the
(m) advise on the conditions for the construction of public and private
buildings and structures;
(n) assist to provide the layout for buildings for improved housing layout
and settlement;
(0) ensure the prohibition of the construction of new buildings unless
building plans submitted have been approved by the Assembly;
(p) advise and facilitate the demolition of dilapidated buildings and recovery
of expenses incurred in connection with the demolition;
(q) ensure the prohibition of the use of inflammable materials in the
construction or repair of buildings in defi~ed areas;
(r) advise the Assembly on the siting of bill boards, masts and ensure
compliance with the decisions of the Assembly;
(s) advise on the acquisition of landed property in the public interest; and
(t) undertake street naming, numbering of house and related Issues.